Teen Body Image Group
For girls 13-17
It's nearly impossible for teen girls today to escape the onslaught of media glorifying unrealistically thin and unattainable bodies. Beautiful, healthy and confident girls often start to question if there is something wrong with them and some turn to social media, dieting or fashion for the answers. When teen girls develop anxiety, depression or eating disorders, a negative body image is often a part of the problem.
Have you heard your teenage daughter say:
- “I wish I was skinny like _____________________.”
- “If only I was skinnier/prettier/taller, etc. my life would be perfect.”
- “I’m going to start this new cleanse/juicing diet/detox plan to lose some weight.”
- “I don’t want to go to the dance/game/party because nothing looks good on me.”
This kind of self-talk can be devastating to our self-esteem, and can lead to anxiety, depression, disordered eating and self-harm.
Who is this Group for?
If you worry that your daughter is starting to develop an unhealthy relationship with her body or if you want to preemptively arm her with some education and tools to hold on to a healthy body image in an unhealthy culture, this is the group for you.
Teen Girls 13-17
What will she learn in this group?
- Distinguish between a "healthy ideal" and a "thin ideal"
- Learn to avoid or shut down conversations that focus on negative body talk
- Explore how the diet, fashion and cosmetic industries gain when young women have negative body image
- Celebrate the positive traits of our bodies, both inside and out
How will this group help?
After this group, your daughter will walk away with an understanding of how industries profit when women have low-esteem and the ability to identify and change conversations that shame women for their bodies. The Body Image Group is designed to build confidence and skills and to provide young women with the knowledge and power to make informed choices about their bodies and lives.
When: Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30pm for 6 weeks, beginning November 8th
Where: 7009 S. Potomac St. Suite 102 Centennial 80112
Cost: $40 per session
Limited to 8 participants