High School Teen Group
Open to all teens ages 14-18
Created specifically for teens, this group provides teens with a safe, accepting space where they can explore the challenges, struggles, fears and celebrations that come with being a teenager.
Why join a Teen Group?
Groups provide an experience that is entirely different from individual counseling. Teens who participate in groups often report:
A sense of belonging, community and connection with other group members
A collaboration of ideas, advice and problem-solving strategies
A reduction in feelings of isolation or loneliness
Ongoing encouragement and support from peers
This Group will incorporate DBT Skills.
What is DBT?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy is a skills-based program and an approach to therapy that is perfect for teens who feel like they are on an emotional roller coaster and have trouble finding emotional stability. DBT has proven very effective with teens who experience:
- Extreme mood swings
- Frequent emotional outbursts
- Inability to cope with setbacks
- Overwhelming anxiety
- Loss of friendships due to emotional volatity
- Self-injuring behaviors
What to expect during group?
Each week, group members will discuss a variety of topics, including:
- Self-esteem and how to build confidence
- Positive and Negative coping strategies
- School Pressure and Anxiety
- Managing difficult emotions
- Fears about the future after high school
- Conflict with parents and siblings
- Healthy relationships and friendship
Participants will also focus on specific DBT skills, such as:
- Create personal goals and analyze current behaviors.
- Discuss the importance of mindfulness skills with an emphasis on creating awareness around our own emotions and letting go of judgement.
- Dive into interpersonal effectiveness skills and learn to build healthy relationships and end destructive ones.
- Learn about emotion regulation skills by naming and understanding difficult emotions and changing emotional responses.
- Gain a better understanding of distress tolerance skills by learning to tolerate and survive crisis situations without making things worse.
How Does It Work?
Who? All teens entering grades 9-12
When? Wednesdays 5-6pm beginning June 1st for 8 weeks
Cost: $45 per 60 -minute session. Prepayment of first session required to secure your spot.