Hilary Duesenberg, MA, LPCC
I became a therapist because I believe in the power and change of relationship. I began my own journey with therapy at 18 and have since experienced, both as a client and clinician, the amazing change that therapy can bring.
I do my best work with teens who are struggling to find and create their identity. I feel privileged to walk alongside teens through their past, and then be able to choose how they want to live their present and future.
Through my work at a criminal and addictions rehabilitation center as well as working with those experiencing homelessness and severe mental illness at a community mental health center in downtown Denver, I have gained a wealth of experience and training that enable me to work well with a wide variety of clients who suffer from abuse - sexual, physical, and verbal/emotional, addictions, psychosis, depression, anxiety, and more.
· I have a Master of Arts Degree in Counseling from Denver Seminary.
· I am Prepare and Enrich Certified. This certification focuses on relationships and family systems.
· I have training in and frequently use Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) in my practice. DBT is a great tool for helping those who struggle with emotion dysregulation, self-esteem, and creating and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
· I also am well-versed in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Solutions-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Motivational Interviewing (MI), Family Systems, and Existentialism.
· I have led groups on relapse prevention, anger management, relationship building, DBT, and trauma processing.
I love working with teens to...
...learn about who they are, and thus begin to create and understand their role in the home, and more broadly, in the world. This process begins by helping them understand their thoughts, beliefs, and emotions, then how they affect their lives, and therefore learn how they can choose to respond. My goal is for teens to understand themselves and choose how to maintain balance and health in their lives and relationships.
When I'm not working with clients...
I enjoy that first cup of coffee in the morning! Despite being weirdly allergic to the cold, I love to ski and have since the age of 3. When it’s not winter, I love to road bike, travel, read (any Harry Potter fans out there?), explore Denver, hike the mountains, and have recently become interested in plants! In all seasons I avidly watch The Office and frequently quote it to anyone who will listen. All of these things I enjoy all the much more when I get to do them with my husband, close friends, and family.